Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Truly Remarkable Film

"The Way We Get By" is a film that is part of the POV (Point of View) series on PBS. The first broadcast was last night (Veteran's Day). I laughed and cried throughout the entire 90 minutes. The film is about a group of around 30 people in Bangor, Maine who greet every inbound and outbound military flight coming and going to either Iraq or Afghanistan. The greeters are at the airport at all hours, day and night to welcome the troops home. It focuses on three elderly greeters, Jerry, Bill, and Joan. I've attached the trailer, but you can go watch the entire film online. Please do. I just went to the PBS POV website and you can enter your zip code and they will tell you when the story will be aired again. It looks like it will be aired a number of times--at least here in the DC area. For those of you in the DC area, WETA-26 will air it at 10:00 pm tomorrow (Friday, November 13).


The Way We Get By - Click to Watch the Trailer

6 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I watched it last night. It pulled my heart in a bunch of directions.
Very moving.
Unsung heroes are everywhere.

Anonymous said...

Wow; I'll have to look this up and watch it. Cat59

Kari said...

There really are amazing angels among us, arn't there!

936000 said...

Thanks for posting this! I did go watch it online (and will try to catch it on PBS). It was a real tear-terker, but you were right, it was a good one! Have a great weekend! ~m., the nut in the desert

possumlady said...

I'm glad you all have or will be watching it. We are blessed in the DC area with three pbs stations and I've watched the program three times so far--crying each time, especially about Jerry and his dog, Flanagan (sniff,sniff).

936000 said...

Yep-me too-Flanigan! Too much of a trigger. Oh-and when the guys got off the plane and were petting the black lab (i'm assuming a therapy dog). Watching their faces and really listening to their voices-how the words were said. it was just . . .
I caught a documentary on the doc channel last night, Mortal Lessons. If you get a change, check it out. m., the nut in the desert.