Sunday, February 25, 2007

A Little Wintery Mix???

I hear it from all the weather forecasters around here, "the DC area is very hard to predict." They say it is because of our close proximity to the mountains on one side and the ocean on the other. We are always on the line of weather systems that could go "either way." Even so, they have been warning of a wintery mix for today. Mostly rain with some sleet and freezing rain mixed in, turning into all rain by the afternoon.


Here is a photo I took at 2:00 pm today from my front porch


Beautiful as it is, it did take us all by surprise. I needed to go out and do my food and pet shopping for the week. The roads were horrible. The county was counting on a freezing mix so they just put down a salt mixture. When I went out around11:30 absolutely no roads had been plowed yet and it was a very wet heavy snow. It took me over an hour to get home from a shopping center that is usually a 15-20 minute drive. Luckily driving my little Element I had no problem, but I had to keep turning around because smaller cars were spinning out and blocking roads.



And yet, there is beauty to be found






I did let some of the cats out when I was shoveling and they LOVED the snow! Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me then. I shall try and remember next time.


I'll leave you with a photo of Jelly. She is a 7 pound ball of fire. She came over from my neighbor's house after breaking out several times (she literally pushed out the screens on my neighbor's windows). I tried many, many times to make her an indoor only cat. After all, I took Sweet Pea and Woody, both strays, and made them indoor cats. But Jelly refuses to be tamed. I wanted to change her name to Kate in honor of Katherine Hepburn after she died, because of her feistiness and independence, but it didn't stick. Jelly will come in to sleep only when it gets below freezing and even then she jumps on me at night and will hang on the shutters trying to get out.




Let me out NOW!!!!!

No comments: