Sunday, June 7, 2009

I'm Back!

This weekend was the first weekend in a LONG time that I finally felt all together well both physically and mentally, and I actually had energy to do things! I had absolutely no plans but to work outside. Saturday was spent running errands, then mowing and weeding the front yard. Oh, and a word of warning. Before you get into a weeding frenzy, make sure you take a good look at what you are about to pull out.




I have no idea what this little guy is. He was only an inch tall and wide. I waited until he left on his own acord before pulling this weed up.

Sunday I started with mixing up a dry rub for some ribs and wrapped them up to rest before grilling Sunday night. I then decided to pull everything off of my front porch, sweep it then hose it and scrub it down. Try as I might, I just couldn’t get all the imbedded dirt off the painted porch floor. I had thought a few months ago that I should get a small indoor/outdoor rug to cover it.

Last month my sister and I made our annual trek to the National Cathedral’s Flower Mart. Let me show you what I bought.



This rug is PERFECT for my front porch! It is from a company call Mad Mats and is made from recycled plastic and since it is nonporous, dirt and mold will not get imbedded and it can be cleaned easily with a hose. And, it feels great on bare feet.

Then, there is a woman who exhibits her mosaic creations every year at the Flower Mart. I love her work. The ones I really love are made with old broken plates, jewelry, buttons, ceramic statues, etc. The only problem is that most of her pieces are big and just would not fit in my little bungalow. So I was thrilled when I saw this small old cedar jewelry box that she had covered in mosaic. She told me where every piece came from and the name of the pattern of the old plates around the edges. Having dabbled in broken plate mosaics myself, I know how much thought goes into each piece and how time consuming it is. I truly treasure this little box.



Also finally spray painted my porch wicker (picture to follow once they dry and are put back on the porch). Now I just need to buy some new cushions and I'll be set for the year.


Okay, here is a photo of the newly painted wicker. I really didn't want to do boring white again. Against the wall is a folding bistro table also in green that I picked up at Target. Chunky Lisa is there to provide her one track mind commentary, such as: Is it time for the wet food yet? Might there be any wet food left over in the kitchen? I really could go for a wet food snack right about now...

Yes, quite a productive weekend!! What did you do this weekend?

6 comments:

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

I worked. ;(

Love that rug- it looks really nice with the blue paint behind it.

And the mosaic box it really neat! Is that a bird in it? It kind of looks like a piece of a wall pocket that I've seen with a bird on it.

I'm so glad 're feeling better.

KGMom said...

First, glad you're back. I do keep checking to see how you are.
And I am so glad you are feeling better all around.
I remember when you wrote last year about going to the National Cathedral's flower mart.
I do love the jewelry box--lovely.
And all the front porch fix-ups. Cool.
Hmm--what did I do? Well, I finished staining a new potting table and two small benches.
Then I sanded off a wooden picnic table with attached seats, and another wooden picnic table--then I restained them, to help protect and waterproof the wood.
Visually, I don't end up with a result as attractive as yours, but I am glad to have the job done.

KGMom said...

Oh good--I stopped back, and now I see the lovely lime green (is that what you would call it) furniture.

possumlady said...

Lynne, oh, too bad you had to work. Do you get time off during the week then? Regarding the box, yes, it is a little pink bird right in the middle. That is what attracted me to the box in the first place. That and the pink hydrangea!

Wow, Donna, looks like you were just as busy this weekend! The paint name is called apple green, but to me it looks more like a celery green. It looks like a green that was used in the 40s a lot. The bistro table leaning against the house is really a lime green.

Cindy Biles said...

For the last several days, I have been working on my new blog--inspired by Julie Zickefoose's wonderous example. I will never claim to be as eloquent a writer or expert a photographer, but am grateful for the nudge to take the plunge. Hadn't paid attention to blogs before, but am now discovering how fun they are to read and how much we all have in common (art, creativity, compassion, wonder, challenges, etc.) Not to mention how much you can learn--like what a box turtle eats!

Good to hear things have settled down. So sorry to hear about Moochie--they give us so much! Reading about Ned and Bunny broke my heart. But I'm glad they had a chance to experience a good life before they went to the next realm.

Would love to learn more about the sanctuary and those adorable baby goats in your photo!

And, love Chunky Lisa--she and I are on the same wavelength. Though wet cat food wouldn't be my first choice....

Take care.

possumlady said...

Hi Clay Lady and welcome to Possumlady Place! Sorry for the delay in responding.

I will need to check out your blog. I've been blogging now for a little over 2 years but I remember the excitement and terror when I first posted for the world to see.

Yes, do check out the Elephant Sanctuary at elephants.com They are an incredible organization and work tirelessly for those gentle giants.

The goat you see me holding in my portait photo was actually taken while I was on safari in East Africa WAY back in 1996. We were at a Masaai village and that baby goat kept coming up to rub up against my leg like a cat. I, of course, had to take a photo of it. I really wanted to take it home!