Sunday, November 16, 2008

Buddy

I keep all my bird and squirrel food in my car. Living in a teeny tiny house with no storage space can be challenging at times. So, with my feeders all near my car I thought it made sense to just keep everything in the back of my car so when I get home from work I can refill the feeders and spread out the peanuts without ever having to go in the house first.

One squirrel noticed this and started hanging around my car. I have to admit he startled me at first, turning around to find a squirrel about a foot away cautiously moving forward. So, I started throwing peanuts to him. Then, I decided to see if he would take an unshelled peanut from my hand. After a little hesitation he did. He then started following me to the front porch looking for more handouts. Then, one morning as I was getting ready for work I saw him hanging on my porch window screen looking in waiting for me.

Thus started my friendship with Buddy.


I almost didn't post this because of my dirty threadbare wicker! I had decided earlier this summer to replace it but with the economy as it is and just finding out on Thursday that our usual pay raises (that in no way made up for the cost of inflation) were going to be cut in half!! Well, new wicker furniture is out for now. I guess I will just repaint. Anyway, enjoy Buddy!

3 comments:

Dog_geek said...

Awww, Buddy is very cute! You are clearly one of those people that animals can just sense are animal friendly.

Loved the update on Ned below, too!

KGMom said...

Well, Christine, you have outdone me and my squirrels. I haven't tried getting them to take peanuts from my hand.
Don't let your squirrels think they can raid the supply in your car, though--around here, squirrels chew through cables and such in car engines!
Buddy is a cute squirrel who has gotten you very well trained!

possumlady said...

Yes, Buddy has me quite well trained! I think word is out in the wilds of Takoma Park that if you are furry and look all cute and cuddly, a crazy cat lady will start talking in high pitched baby talk and throw food your way.