Monday, May 18, 2009

Recharging

You know when you are recharging your cell phone or lap top and it seems to take FOREVER? Well, that’s how I feel trying to recharge and regroup after the death of Moochie and trying to get over a bout of bronchitis.

I finally went to one of those walk-in clinics last Wednesday night and was quite impressed by the professionalism of it all. They took down all my vitals (all wearing masks, of course), and took a swab of my nose to check for the Bacon virus. The doctor listened to my lungs and thought he heard some crackling, along with wheezing so they sent me to get my chest x-rayed thinking I might have walking pneumonia. Luckily, I didn’t but they did diagnose me with bronchitis and sent me home with some strong cough syrup (just being able to sleep through the night made a world of difference). I was planning on going into work on Thursday, since our new board members arrived for meetings that day but my boss insisted that I stay home. (He did apologize for being a jerk and for me having to work while I was feeling so sick. He thought I was just suffering from allergies!!)

Pretty much slept through the entire weekend. I realized yesterday morning that part of my problem was that I just wasn’t eating very well. A few grapes and mango slices here, some hummus and crackers there, just did not amount to much. I decided to look through some of my Cook’s Country magazines for some easy recipes and found a wonderful roast chicken with lemon dish, and a broiled asparagus with Dijon mustard vinaigrette.

Made myself presentable to the public and went food shopping. Who knew that could be so tiring! After I got all the bags into the house I had to take a nap. The chicken is roasted with the zest of three lemons (along with sugar and salt mixed in) massaged under the skin. A sauce is made of chicken broth, lemon juice and more lemon zest and poured into the bottom of the roasting pan. Oh, it was so tasty. I have to say that making the dish and cleaning up after exhausted me so I never did make the asparagus. That will be tonight’s dish, along with leftover chicken and sauce.

5-19 Update:
Well I arrived home from work last night to find a cooler on my front porch. My sister had dropped off a care package of tulips, homemade soup, homemade bourbon balls (my favorite), oranges, and my most favorite olive oil, Ravida! What a treat!! What a sister!! I don't call her Mama Mia for nothing!





I just had to add this as it made me laugh out loud. Reminds me of Apu and Woody. Apu being the contemplative one and Woody....well....

4 comments:

KGMom said...

Oh, Christine--firs, the cat photo is PRICELESS. Love it.
Now, more importantly, you have had a bout, haven't you. Glad you are slowly on the mend.
Yum, that chicken sounds wonderful.
And, yes--you have a great sister.
Keep healing. Glad your boss apologized for being clueless.

Lynne at Hasty Brook said...

Well,
DITTO everything Donna said!


Please go easy and take the time you need to heal.

My prescription:
Take two bourbon balls and call me in the morning. LOL!

las794 said...

Love that LOLpic! And I hope you get to feeling better! I had a bout of bronchitis when I was a kid (about a hundred years ago), but all I remember about it was being really mad that I had to get *two* shots instead of just one. (I did get two suckers, though.) :D

Dog_geek said...

Ugh - bronchitis is the worst - I always takes me forever to really get over it. Definitely get your rest, and eat well, and give yourself some time to heal physically and emotionally. (And that cat pic is perfect!)